Media, Culture and Language
Digital Open Day
11:30am - 1:45pm
Accommodation, Admissions, Careers and Placements, Colleges and Chaplaincy, Disabilities and Wellbeing, Extended Degrees, Finance, Immigration, International Students, Library and Academic Achievement Services, Roehampton Students' Union, Sports and E-sports, Student Ambassadors, Study Abroad
Course specific events
Please note, we'll be using Zoom Webinar to deliver today's subject webinars, you will not be required to turn your audio or camera on
Studying Media, Culture and Language
Our Department of Media, Culture and Language offers you an exciting learning experience, focused on your career. You will have access to state-of-the-art facilities, form your own network of industry contacts and have the opportunity to take a work placement. Over the course of your degree, you will gain a wealth of knowledge and experience, learning from experts and people with extensive experience of working in industry. Here is just some of what we can offer you…
- Our brand new Sir David Bell Building houses our state-of-the-art media centre, including film and photography studios, film editing suites, a cinema, newsrooms and a gallery space.
- Our beautiful library has thousands of books and resources
- Our Esports area is one of the best of any university in the country, and includes high-specification PCs for students who game at competition level or informally.
- Experienced lecturers and Guest Speakers
- We have previously welcomed independent film maker Gurmit Samra, award winning TV producer Julian Dismore and TV sensation Gok Wan
- You will be taught by staff who are experts in their field and whose research will inform your teaching, and by people who work in industry, giving you the benefit of the most up to date practices
- Work placements and experience
- Cement what you learn in class with a work placement that counts towards your degree. You will hone your existing skills, learn new ones, and make key contacts giving you the experience that is sought after among employers.
- Our partnership with Wimbledon Bookfest offers our students lots of hands on opportunities to volunteer and undertake work placements
- Our Film and Photography students take part in graduate shows, where they exhibit their final year projects to audiences
- Our beautiful campus
- Our beautiful, green campus is an oasis in London, providing peaceful thinking space as well as the backdrop to your work
- Networking opportunities
- Take advantage of our excellent links and relationships with media, culture and language organisations across the capital, including the Cervantes Institute, Unilever and Wimbledon Bookfest
Our Media Centre
Our brand new media facilities were developed in conjunction with leading acoustic and theatre specialists to ensure that you receive industry standard experiences. It is a modern, adaptable learning environment, with spaces for individual and group work, interactive and collaborative projects, as well as quiet study spaces.
What’s been happening in our department?
Hear from our students
“I feel like I’m part of a big family, especially being an international student, to feel like it’s a home to me is very important.” – Felipe de Souza Correra | Journalism, first year
“I wanted to study at Roehampton because it is such a beautiful campus. You don’t feel that you’re in London, as it’s quiet and peaceful, but then you still have easy access to everything in London. In Digital Media we learn loads of things from coding, to web design, game design and video production as well as great theory based learning about the history of digital media and research modules.” – Madeleine Stout | Digital Media, second year
Laura Riaz graduated from Creative Writing and Journalism in 2015 and now runs her own copywriting and social media management business. Read more about her here.
Meet our staff
Dr Stacey Abbott
Dr Stacey Abbott is a reader in Film and Television Studies, and teaches on a wide range of subjects including the history of animation and vampires in film. Her research area is genre cinema and television, with a specialist interest in the horror genre and the vampire and zombie in film and television.
Dr Theodroa Thomadaki
Dr Theodora Thomadaki is an expert in Reality TV, makeover culture, popular (social) media, postfeminism and psychoanalytic theory. Her research work explores the ways in which our engagement with popular media (re)shapes our notions of identity and how these popular cultural spaces (re)construct emotional subjective experiences through the activation of object relatedness.
Josh Appignanesi teaches film and is a British film director, producer, and screenwriter. Appignanesi is best known for the feature film Song of Songs, starring Natalie Press, which he directed, co-wrote and co-produced.
Dr Deborah Jermyn
Dr Deborah Jermyn is a reader in Film and her key research and teaching interests lie in the fields of women, feminism and popular culture (with a recent focus on older and ageing femininities); Hollywood cinema and genres (particularly romantic comedy); celebrity studies; contemporary television drama; representations of crime on film and TV; reality TV; and audience studies.
Dr Ping Shum
Dr Ping Shum is a multimedia journalist by training. He obtained a PhD from King's College London which focuses on the Chinese party-state's innovative use of internet technologies.
Roehampton at Wimbledon Bookfest
Roehampton’s partnership with Wimbledon Bookfest offers our students internships, volunteering opportunities and work placements. Students have created podcasts, been videographers and photographers, and formed press teams at the Festival.
Our Photography Student’s Graduate Show at Freerange
Take a Virtual Tour
Have a look around our campus using our new virtual tour.
View highlighted accommodation, department buildings, student life and student support spaces.
Being a student at a campus university in London gives you the best of both worlds. We are lucky enough to have a 54-acre parkland campus to call home, and are only 30 minutes from central London.
We offer plenty of opportunities for you to get involved through playing sport, music, volunteering, or joining one of over 50 student societies. We also have catering outlets, across campus, and each College has social spaces where you can meet up with your friends and relax.
Our campus is close to Putney, Hammersmith and Wimbledon, which each have wide a range of shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. With central London so close, you can easily access the wealth of culture, entertainment and dining options the capital has to offer.
We have among the most affordable student accommodation in London and can offer all new students a place in halls. We have a range of options to suit all tastes and budgets. Each room is:
- Single occupancy
- En-suite or semi en-suite
- Self-catered with shared kitchen facilities
Fees also include utility bills and contents insurance. We have Flat Reps and wardens living in on-campus accommodation to provide support and information when you need it.
At Roehampton we are focused on ensuring you succeed, and have a wide range of support services to help you at every step of your journey.
Wellbeing – our team are able to provide personal wellbeing support, professional counselling and mental health support. Each college has a Student Wellbeing Officer and a College Warden, the latter is available after hours for all on campus students.
Medical – we have an on-site NHS medical centre which provides doctor and nurse-led services.
Disability and dyslexia – we encourage students to let us know about specific needs so we can work with you to tailor our support.
Financial – we have a wide range of scholarships, and a student hardship fund for those students in financial difficulty.
Chaplaincy – our diverse community is reflected in our multi-faith chaplaincy and we have a number of spaces for worship.
Study support – all students have an Academic Guidance Tutor, as well as access to library support and online study resources.
We hope you found our Digital Open Day informative
Find out how to make an application to us below